Friday, September 27, 2013

Ameristep Brickhouse Blind


Great for photography
I use a blind for wildlife photography and have owned an Ameristep Doghouse blind for a few months. I just bought this Brickhouse blind and am very pleased. While the Brickhouse and the Doghouse have about the same footprint there are some important differences that make the Brickhouse sell for about twice the price of the Doghouse. Rather than rehash the great reviews already provided on both models (thanks to all the reviewers who help me buy smart), I will address the differences between the two models from first hand experience.

1.) Material - the Brickhouse material seems to be a little heavier nylon and the interior blackout material has none of the tiny pinholes the Doghouse has. This doesn't matter to me as the exterior camo material on both is weather worthy. (I sprayed them both with waterproof silicon spray just for insurance). BTW, the occasional pinholes on the blackout interior on the cheaper Doghouse make no real difference in functionality to my mind. The...
Excellent Blind - Big, Easy to setup, lots of windows
Great blind. LOTS of windows. The windows are "double paned" with "tie downs" on the inner opaque windows, and velcro-ed outer, mesh see through windows. So you can open it up. Which is mission critical because it is VERY hard to see through the mesh especially at the all important dawn and dusk times. (or if you're facing the sun).

VERY Spacious, easily could fit two people, or one guy with a bunch of gear. Pretty simple to set up. Freestanding so you don't have to stake it (ice fishing?) but I did stake it so I could leave out on my land and let the woodlands creatures get used to it.

2 problems:
1. The door is not very easy to get in, especially dressed for Deer hunting in the UP of Michigan in November. It's not a deal breaker but it's a little tricky. (The door is a isosceles triangle with the long side vertical on the left and the two short sides meeting on the right at the center of the face.)
2. The seams. Sitting in my blind when it...
Be careful!!!!!
This is my first pop up blind. I have hunted out of this blind about 8 times as of today.

The reason I am writing is to tell owners to be careful about the joints used in the construction of this blind. I got to my blind this morning and the roof panel had popped-down (probably due to strong winds last night). I ducked inside the blind and grabbed the roof joint to push it back up into place. I pushed the roof joint up so that it would deploy (pop up). When the roof panel popped-up the joint caught my finger and pinched/cut it badly. BE CAREFUL OF THE JOINTS AS THEY'RE NASTY PINCH POINTS WHEN THEY POP INTO PLACE.

I hunt or fish just about every weekend so I am not some ninny typing here because I am easily injured or scared. This is the first time I have left a review for a product. My finger is pretty mangled. Its tough for me to even type this text. I sat in the blind this morning wondering how I'd pull the trigger if something walked out because my...
Click to Editorial Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment