The Real Thing
I own several Sypderco models and this is the largest of the bunch. Let me say right up front that most people do not generally require a knife this large and, in many jurisdictions, it might not even be legal to carry a 4" blade.
Normally, I tend to prefer the "lightweight" type Spydercos with FRN handles, but the Military is designed for heavy use, making G10 the better choice. You WILL know that this knife is in your pocket or clipped to wherever you may clip it.
Although I'm way past the age where the armed forces would have any need of my services, I can understand why this knife is so popular with our troops. While no folder can be as strong as a fixed-blade knife, this one comes close. Once it's locked, one would have to put a lot of effort into making it close unintentionally. I mean a LOT of effort.....the kind that would more accurately be called abuse.
Out of the box, the blade is as sharp as any I've ever owned. The steel is superb at...
Beautiful and Excellent Knife
I really love the orange handles on this great knife. Very light for it's size, with a great blade shape. And the blade comes razor sharp, and is thin S30V so is easy to keep razor sharp as well. American made also! I have the titanium version of this knife as well, but much prefer the G10 version like this one to the titanium. My only complaint would be that the orange handles show dirt and grime very easily. The knife will look "dirty" and "well used" after just a week's carry and normal use... you'll have to scrub the handle occasionally with a soapy toothbrush or something to keep it the beautiful orange color it arrives with. If you use your knife alot, especially with grimy hands you may want to order the black or camo G10 version instead.
Best Spyderco Ever
I've had Spydercos ever since the first generation Endura came out, with the integrated zytel clip. They have always been above average as far as the knife industry goes, but until I got this Military, I have never felt that they could hang with companies like Benchmade and Microtech. NOW, I'd rather give up all my Benchmades and MTs than my Military models (yes, I ended up getting a couple). The thing that always kept me from being in love with Spyderco was that you always used to have to choose whether you wanted a fair-priced knife or an awesome knife. You could get an Endura for $50 or $60 but would you trust your life to it? Civilians have always been about $160. Tough as nails, but too much money and too specific a purpose. Other models, like the ones in partnership with a famous designer like Jens Anso are either $200 or made in Taiwan. They just haven't been able to get it right for me until now. This knife, however, really takes the cake at being the perfect mix of tough,...
Click to Editorial Reviews
No comments:
Post a Comment