A Surprisingly Excellent Portable
I recently purchased the new 909X model, and did some technical tests on the 909x versus my Tecsun Pl-390 and Grundig 750. First, as to FM reception, the 909X has outstanding FM reception, as to both the number of stations received and the tonal quality. I was able to easily log 18 RDS stations from my central Florida location in daytime. As to tonal quality, this is where the 909X is a great portable. The built-in amplifier and the high-quality speaker, give the FM listener a range of tonal quality approaching my Tivoli Audio SongBook radio. This excellent tonal quality carries over to AM reception also. My next test was on the shortwave bands. I was surprised as to the radio's sensitivity and, again, good tonal quality on SW voice and music programs. Although my Grundig 750 and Tecsun PL-390 are very sensitive shortwave radios, the big plus in the 909X is it's very high signal-to-noise ratio. What that means is that weak signals received on the Grundig 750 and Tecsun Pl-390 come in...
Sensational Upgrade in ATS-909X
I bought this direct from Taipei because of detailed and impressive advance notice, though the price here is now far better. Okay, that information was PR, but in the case of this complete re-design of the ATS-909 it was pretty close to how the product performs.
I've used a variety of portables over the years, including the brilliant, but rather heavy, Sony ICF-2010, and its successor, the fine 7600GR. I've also tried a few of the new Chinese shortwave competitors, including the Degen 1103, probably the best cheap shortwave radio ever made.
Sangean, however, is not competing against Degen or Kaito. Established for a very long time as a maker of superb portables, they took some heat for the ATS-909. I can't comment on that model, as I have never tried one. The ATS-909X, however, is to my mind the successor to Sony's 7600GR as the best portable for its broad range of reception, which includes FM, LW, MW, and SW. The AM range is 150-29999. (note: the ATS909X...
Sangean 909X Quite a nice performing portable
I have read all the reviews of the New 909X,and I have to say some are quite misleading. I don't know if the nay sayers have under performing radios,I was told recently by a very high ranking person associated with a major radio company
that after a new model is relaesed that the mfr will quietly make engineering evaluations and upgrades based on the first field reports, and never make public the changes, so I will assume that the early reports were based on the Beta radios.
My first impression of the 909X out of the box was that the build quality was very good, with a nice feel in my hands. The first order of business was to read the English portion of the operation manual, then after installing 4 AA alkaline cells and setting the battery charge switch to the correct setting it was time to power up and "walk through" the functions. After I verified the 909X was 100% it was time to put it through it's paces.
My first interest is AM MW DXing, so I tuned the 909X to...
Click to Editorial Reviews
No comments:
Post a Comment