Friday, September 27, 2013

Cold Steel Gurkha Kukri Kraton Handle


Not all Kukris are created equal
First, I just have to say wow!!! I own a couple of other, cheaper Kukris and this one outshines them in every way.

Bottom line up front:
This is a good blade by any measure. Whether you want a Kukri you can be proud to show off to your buddies or you actually need a blade you can trust your life to, this is a good choice.

Pros:
1. The design is excellent. Cold Steel didn't reproduce the traditional Kukri, they improved the design considerably. In my opinion, it's far superior for thrusting than traditional designs and still retains the wicked cutting power that made the kukri famous. The handle is much better. It fits the hand well and is a joy to use. It has a lanyard hole (Which you should use). This is a first class cut and thrust weapon that can also do camp chores.

2. The steel choice and temper are both excellent. That's really all you probably need to know about the steel itself. If so, you should skip the details below, but...
simply the best woods blade out there
this blade replaces the need to bring an axe, machete, or bowie knife. It does all the jobs in the woods. I highly reccommend it. I've put it through a ringer and it does not chip. However high carbon steel of this blade rust easy so take care to pour motor oil in the sheath so that it stays oiled. It is the right steel for the job however i wish cold steel would bring back the teflon coating of the original.

I do not recommend the san mi 3 version of this blade as my experiance with stainless is that it is too rigid and does not flex and this leads to chipping and an early "death" of the sword/blade.
Solid Performer
Purchased my original kukri from Cold Steel 4 months ago. After watching nutnfancy's review last month and outstanding field results with my original I have added a second Kukri to my outfit. This now goes with us on all of our excursions that fits the POU. My philosophy of use for this blade is an overall survival knife. The kukri has held up to all hype although the price is a little steep. I have used this blade for chopping and splitting which used to be performed by our trusty camp axe. This knife cuts with purpose and ease. Do to its weight forward design, its in a class of its own in the chopping department.
Did I mention tough? This blade is rock solid and I mean solid. Cold Steel did not skimp on this blade which is expected given the cost. If I were to have rated this 3 months ago it would have received 4 stars for difficulty in sharpening. Since then I have acquired a Lansky Sharpening Puck and needless to say with a some time spent around the campfire-problem...
Click to Editorial Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment